Are you a bad golfer? Don't worry, you're not alone. In fact, most golfers are pretty terrible. If you're wondering why your game isn't up to par, look no further. Here are 9 reasons why you suck at golf—and how to fix them.

1. You've never had a lesson

The first step to getting better at anything is admitting that you need help. If you've never had a golf lesson in your life, it's no wonder you're not very good. The good news is that it's never too late to learn. Book a lesson with a local pro and start working on your game.

2. You don't practice

Golf is a difficult sport and it takes a lot of practice to get good at it. If you only play once in a while, you're not going to get any better. Make a commitment to go to the driving range. Try to practice at least once a week and you'll start seeing improvement in your game.

3. You're using the wrong equipment

Are you using hand-me-down clubs that are too old or too short for you? Are your golf balls old and scuffed? Are you using old sneakers and slipping and sliding all over the course? If so, it's time for an upgrade. Investing in new golf balls and a good pair of golf shoes will make a big difference in your game.

4. Poor grip

One of the most important things in golf is having a good grip. Ideally, you want a neutral grip, holding the club in your fingers and not in your palm.

Make sure you're not gripping the golf club too tight, otherwise you won't be able to swing freely. On the other hand, if it's too loose, you won't have any control over the clubface. Practice gripping the club until you find a happy medium.

5. Poor setup

Your stance and posture are fundamental to a solid, repeatable swing. Take some time to learn the proper way to address the golf ball. Understand where to position the golf ball for all of your clubs. Develop and practice a pre-shot routine until it becomes second nature.

Here's how to do it the right way!

6. You swing too hard

One of the most common mistakes made by amateur golfers is swinging too hard. They think that they need to hit the ball as hard as they can in order to get it down the fairway—but that's not true! In fact, most of the time, all that does is send the ball flying off into the woods somewhere. Instead of swinging for the fences, focus on making clean contact with the ball and letting gravity do its job . . . trust us, it will go much farther than if you try to muscle it down there yourself!

7. Poor swing mechanics

If your swing needs some work, identify your major swing faults and study how to fix them - read instruction books or articles, watch how-to videos from the Pros, and take some lessons.

One of the biggest swing flaws is an over-the-top swing. The result is the dreaded slice. Here's how to fix it Now!

8. Can't putt or chip

If you can't putt or chip, you're never going to score well. These are two of the most important aspects of the game, so you need to practice them until you become a master. Look for a golf chipping net and a putting aid to help you master the short game!

And watch this video. It's an all-time great chipping drill.

9. Poor mental game

Let's face it: golf is more mental than physical . . .. if you can't keep your head about you when things are going bad or control your emotions, then chances are good that your game will suffer as well. If your head is full of negative thoughts odds are it will lead to poorly executed shots.

Jack Flick, one of golf's most revered instructors who also coached Jack Nicklaus, once famously said, "90% of golf is mental and the other 10% is mental too."

There are many reasons why amateur golfers don't improve, but these 9 are some of the most common. Fortunately, however, there are also solutions for each one of them!  So, if you've been struggling with your game, take heart: help is on the way!

Just remember: practice, focus on mechanics, invest in lessons, and stay mentally strong. Do those things, and we guarantee that your game will start improving in no time flat!

If you're committed to improving your game you need to practice, practice and practice. Here's a way to practice anytime and anywhere, including at home.

Here's another great training aid you can use at home.